JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Sunday, May 20, 2007

We've Made a Decision

The Marine Corps organization that I'm a part of, I Marine Expeditionary Force (I MEF), informed me that they required 45 days to process a request to renew my orders. My orders end on July 1st. That gave me a 90 day window from the time I arrived back in the States on February 15th to pursue other options. I feel like I did all that I reasonably could, without infringing on my current obligations to the Marine Corps or cutting into the liesure time with Sheryl and Joshua, to look for other opportunities. My non-negotiables were minimal: within a forty five minute commute from our house; enough of a salary to maintain our current quality of life; and a job that would use some of my skill sets while offering me at least some job satisfaction. I published my resume and military service summary on Monster.com via Military.com. I used all my network connections to pass the word that I was available. One job was particularly appealing, and though the employer is still interested in me, the contract could not be negotiated within the time window required.
Though I was fully committed to seeking employment in a profession other than the profession of arms for good reasons, two facts remain clear: I am responsible for the provision of my family's needs; I have reached terminal rank and have many more years of potential service in a career that uses my strengths, rewards application of effort, and affirms my potential. Because a three year commitment gives the Marine Corps TOO much latitude (orders which would require the dislocation of my family, for instance), I have limited my request for orders with the MEF to two years.
This two year period of service will almost guarantee another one year deployment, probably January 08 to January 09. There is little doubt in my chain of command's mind that the orders will be approved. Following this period of service, I will have 27 years of service, 14 of them Active. I'm feeling a little depressed--it is difficult to face another year away from Sheryl and Joshua. However, I am convinced, even more so than prior to my last deployment, that God can turn this into a blessing and bring glory and honor to His name through these circumstances.
Thanks for praying with us through this, for all your support, and your continued prayer in the future. It has made all the difference.

Semper Fi, JarHedJon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home