JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Running a Marathon???

Can you believe it? Just back from a year in Iraq, and I've been challenged to expend energy in another way--run a marathon in Chicago to raise money for an area development project in Malawi! Sheryl, along with other members of our church, went to Malawi on a short trip which resulted in propelling our church into a partnership with seven other churches to commit to a long-term community building effort through World Vision. Our pastor at San Clemente Presbyterian Church has inspired a few of us to join him in running a marathon to raise support and increase awareness of the work Y-Malawi is doing to restore hope.
You can get involved in this effort by "clicking" on the title above or on the "Y-Malawi Marathon" link on the left. I'd appreciate your prayer and support, as I'm a little dubious about running my first marathon at age 46! Even more than praying for me, though, I hope you'll pray for the Nkhoma area in Malawi, where disease, famine, and other factors have dramatically affected EVERYONE.
Tomorrow is my first day of work after "checking in" from deployment, I'll keep y'all posted as to how things go...

Semper Fi,
Jon G.

1 Comments:

Blogger JarHedJon said...

Dad: I'm past the point of wanting to run it for time, but have always wanted to run one--now is the chance to do so for a good reason other than a feather in MY cap... I'm shooting for a modest time, the money I help raise for Y-Malawi will be a real "shot in the arm" for the development project. Hopefully, it will be a lot of fun and allow better connection with others who are running with me from our church. We'll see.

Semper Fi, JarHedJon

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home