JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Friday, June 09, 2006

Lethargy

I really appreciate all the prayer and support over the last three months, it has made such a difference. I continue to be healthy. My tooth-that-needs-a-root-canal has been a non-issue. The FaBQ has provided a necessary escape from the ‘office.’ The ‘projects’ that I have undertaken to address specific requirements have been successful. I have been able to delegate some of my work-load to others, making my own ‘load’ more manageable. I have found a way to start my day with two devotionals. I have been showered with care through moto-mails, packages, and letters (most recently by Jim & Dana and my brother Greg). The snacks, believe it or not, directly impact how much of my work gets done, as the trip to the DFAC takes about 45 minutes out of my day, minutes which I save by eating healthy and tasteful snacks at my desk.

I am struggling, however, with lethargy. You’ve heard, I’m sure, of the “Fight or Flight” responses to immediate crisis/stress. Well, this deployment is a long term ongoing crisis/stress in my life, and my tendency in these situations is to disengage and withdraw. I’ve found the best way to do that is sleep. I’ve recently begun ‘trading’ the time between 0600 and 0800 in the morning, supposedly spent doing PT, with sleep. I’ve also entered the “doldrums” phase of the deployment, where the wind has gone out of my sails, the monotony seems unending, and the apparent futility of current meaningless activity to somehow improve the situation begins to create depression. Hopefully this phase will quickly pass, but regardless, I require discipline and focus to daily fulfill the trust of those who’ve seen fit to assign me crucial responsibilities (at considerable cost to others and at significant remuneration to myself).

Semper Fi, Jon G.

4 Comments:

Blogger Linda B said...

Hang in there Jon. I know I don't comment often but I do read your blog every day and we are all praying for you. Lina is so enjoying her time at Sakeji--have you heard from her at all? We all suffer from lethargy at various times in our lives--even if we don't have as much excuse for it as you do! At least you have your vacation to look forward to! We love you.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Linda B said...

Oh, and one other thing. We had root beer floats tonight in your honor!

5:15 PM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Linda: Thanks for reading my blog, I actually get to read yours every so often. Sheryl forwards me Lina's emails from Sakeji, it is very cool to hear how quickly she has integrated into a little sub-society that has the potential for some severe culture clash. Thanks for drinking root beer floats in my name, I can't think of a better thing to consume...

1:17 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Dad: I appreciate the comments, and the three things you mentioned are right on! Of course, you saying them is one thing, me applying them is another, but making decisions, planning a course of action, and sharing my plan with others who will encourage me and pray for me--well, that's more than half of it. I take quite a lot of trash from the guys in my shop regarding my age, it's nice to be able to turn to someone with even more experience than me...
Semper Fi, Jon G.

1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home