JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

What Day is it?

Some of you may have noticed that my entry for the 6th of June was posted on the 5th. I feel that some explanation was in order, as this is a pretty glaring discrepancy for a Marine officer (particularly one noted for attention to detail) to make—let alone once, but continually. When I first arrived in country, I was posting to the blog in the evenings at the end of my shift. Since we are eleven hours ahead here, I was pretty confident that each post would make it on the same day in the States, in fact a couple of times I was concerned that I had waited too long to post, and that the ‘record’ would show that I had skipped a day, when in actuality I had not. I came to realize, however, that both my schedule and the speed of the internet (which slows dramatically here due to heavy usage in the evenings) made morning blog entries much more practical, so I switched. I discovered that the blog server actually date/time stamps my blog entry by it’s clock, which is in the US and on US time, so the date/time stamp on the emailed blog post (which would be 11 hours ahead of the blog server) is ignored.

So, generally speaking, the date on my blog entry is always technically wrong, it is always one day shy of the day on which you read it (it generally is posted close to the time most of you are going to bed) and one day shy of the day on which I posted it. With the exception of today, of course, as I did not post this blog until after 1100. So there you have it.

Semper Fi, Jon G.

1 Comments:

Blogger JarHedJon said...

Helen: Thanks for thinking of me, and sending a package! I've skipped many a day on the blog, and will undoubtably skip many more, but am glad the posts I do get 'out there' are read.

Semper Fi, Jon G.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home