JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Resurrection Sunday

I was recently challenged by a Master Sergeant in my shop to consider that Easter is a secular holiday—where Resurrection Sunday is a Holy Day for God’s Community. Since then, I’ve been very conscious about engaging folks with a verbal greeting related to Resurrection Sunday vice a happy Easter. The distinction might be subtle, perhaps lost on many, but I’m convinced that a people, a culture, or a community, and what their priorities and values are, can be determined through a study of their language. I feel that the Community of God is called to be distinct from the world, and this distinction should be as recognizable in our language as in our actions. Of course, language constantly shifts, and the Community must constantly develop new language (that really means the same thing) as the world seizes our words and robs them of power through applications apart from the working of God in our lives.

Conversely, the worldly colloquialization of many words spiritual in nature provides many instances where the Word is present yet unrecognized in the speech of many who truly perceive not (or care not) of what they speak. May God give me boldness and tact, wisdom and disdain of self, insight and recklessness, and an awareness of His working in every situation to act in all situations in ways that bring glory to Him.

Semper Fi, Jon G.

4 Comments:

Blogger Linda B said...

Jon--we had a discussion about the term "Resurrection Sunday" as opposed to "Easter" with the kids in Sunday School this morning. We told them basically what you said--that the term Easter really has no spiritual significance and does nothing to point our thoughts to Christ.

On another note, are you able to read my blog? If you can't access it on the net I can e-mail it to you periodically.

3:09 PM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Lina: I think that whatever the origins of the word (and I do not believe 'easter' is Christ-related), they are (at best) vague and unfamiliar to the secular world. Calling a spade a spade is a good practice.
I believe I could read your blog, send your blog address to Sheryl and she can forward it to me. Thanks.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

7:09 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Dad: glad you tried again to post your message. I love the "Christ is risen" greeting and the affirmative response. Hope you were able to relax a little with Matt & Greg despite the pastoring responsibilities.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

7:13 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Helen: Thanks for praying about the tooth, God is really answering prayer, as I have not even noticed it the last five days... I'm very thankful.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home