JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

FIVE


When people have asked me to pick my favorite number, I usually say “4” or “8.” I don’t believe I’ve ever said “5.” That is not to say that I don’t have an association with the number at all. There is one in my SSN, there were four in my old work phone number, and five times five is how long I will have served in the Marine Corps come September 1. However, five is all of the sudden a very cool number to me, as I found out yesterday that I had been selected for promotion to the rank of Chief Warrant Officer Five. The message announcing the actual date of my promotion has yet to be released, but I expect the promotion to take place within the next sixty days. I was the second Marine selected of a total of three that were promoted of the thirty nine eligible officers. This could not have happened without God’s hand of blessing on my health and welfare, His leading and guiding through many decisions during my career, and His grace and mercy that sustained me always (but particularly when I was discouraged, rebellious towards Him, or made poor choices that discounted His presence or influence in my life).

Yes, I get paid more, but a promotion (particularly in this setting) is MUCH more about the increased leadership and responsibility that is commensurate with the new rank. In the case of CWO5, it is a “terminal” rank, meaning that it is the highest grade a person can achieve within a particular rank structure (enlisted=Sergeant Major or Master Gunnery Sergeant; warrant officers=CWO5; officers=General, though Colonel, the top of the ‘field grade’ officer structure—vice the general grade officer structure—is the more realistic). Terminal ranks carry with them additional perceived responsibility, as the Marine Corps’ expectation is that Marines who attain these ranks particularly characterize not only the historical traditions of the Corps’ past leaders, they must also set the current example and mentor the Corps’ future leaders. Please pray for me as I figuratively don this boatcloak (OK, mantle, but in the amphibious warrior tradition of the Corps) of trust and responsibility, for in my own strength alone, I will fail.

Semper Fi, Jon G.

9 Comments:

Blogger Uncle Jim said...

Congrats on you promotion!!! Semper Fi my brother!!!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Linda B said...

WAY TO GO JON!

Congratulations from the Burklin family!

9:11 PM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Helen: Thanks, the promotion is a plus. Never thought I'd hear a SoCal resident complain about too much rain :) Hang in there, and I hope you have fun at the "Happiest Place on Earth" (OK, a litte cynicism here, but it's directed at Disney, not you).
Semper Fi, Jon G.

11:35 PM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Dad: Thanks, and here's FIVE back at ya. Though technically always a junior company grade officer (CWO5's salute 2nd Lieutentants first, as we're 'lower' on the food chain), CWO5's rate the VIP suite at BOQ's and Transient Billeting facilities. The Army (which has the most Warrant Officers) is currently lobbying for CWO5 designated parking spots at PXs, Commissaries, and base Clubs (as 06's and above and E8's and E9's have such privileges). Thanks for your confidence in me!
Semper Fi, Jon G.

11:44 PM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Uncle Jim: Thanks. Really exciting what is going on with you all, and Grandpa being there with you. Sheryl forwarded the update from Aunt Ruth. I'll be praying for you all.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

11:52 PM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Burklins: Thank you for all your prayers, and your congratulations. I have this sense of your combined support (as a family) physically and tangibly helping to carry me through the 'rough' times.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

11:56 PM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Brendan: Thanks for your prayers, and your encouraging (and edifying) words. I think you knew me when I was a '2', but who's counting? I've always thought it was symbolic that your oldest child was born on the Marine Corps Birthday. Your friendship is very valuable to me, and has been over the years--it is almost more difficult to honestly accept comments such as yours from someone whom I respect so much and who I know percieves me more completely than most. It means much.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Hi Jon,
Congratulations on this awesome honor! We haven't posted any comments yet, but know that we pray for you regularly at dinnertime. We are proud of you and you are in our thoughts.

-steve for the family

8:51 PM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Steve: Thanks for your support, and the prayers that you and your family send heavenward on my behalf. I appreciate you supporting Sheryl as you have on occasion, like the Saturday she was tied up with KV training. You know, you're probably doing as much to directly support us here as I am, thanks for that, Team Member!
Semper Fi, Jon G.

4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home