JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Light Show

The other night, while waiting for transportation back to my home base, some flights that were scheduled to depart prior to mine were landing, disembarking / embarking passengers, and then leaving. These rotary wing aircraft are the medium and heavy lift workhorses of the Marine Corps, and are doing a GREAT job out here (I’m sure that doesn’t just happen, the crews and pilots must all be top notch). It was really quite the attraction watching them land and take off, not only due to the efficiency with which all was accomplished, but because of the ‘light show.’ During the ‘touchdown’ phase of the landing, and during the ‘lift-off’ phase of take off, a sort of static-electricity (I’m guessing, here, have no clue what it was) charge appeared to envelop each blade. Of course, since the blades are spinning at a fairly substantial speed (a little understatement, here), this created the appearance of a glimmering, shimmering, flickering disk. This phenomenon is probably not observable during the day, this was a moonless night. Individually incidental enough in nature to leave one in doubt as to the certainty of it having happened, the repetition of the occurrence (I watched several choppers through this evolution) confirmed it. Anyway, I wonder if anyone reading this blog can explain what it is that I was seeing, as it is something totally new to my experience.

I’ve got a visitor coming to see me at my base this week, much in the same way I visited some folks last week at their base. Switching roles. As for me, I’d rather be the scrutinizer than the scrutinized.

Semper Fi, Jon G.

5 Comments:

Blogger Linda B said...

Jon--we ran your question past our aviation expert (a flight student at LeTourneau) and he was mystified too. He was very intrigued though--and will probably ask his professors for some input. We'll let you know if he comes up with anything.

6:43 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Dad: I might believe the Star Wars effect, but Lucas and his special effects studio were a long way away...
Semper Fi, Jon G.

11:03 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Joe: It's always possible that it is a system I don't know anything about. I still think it's a natural phenomenon. Thanks for your prayers.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

11:05 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Lina: Thanks for asking around. Let me know what you (or the students) turn up. I have some ideas, maybe I'll find out from some of the aviation guys here...
Semper Fi, Jon G.

11:07 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Greg: I think you hit the nail on the head. I didn't elaborate on the dust, but the flight ops chief said it was particularly bad that night, as they had not watered down the LZ during the day as they normally did. Also, it is VERY dry here. Dad was close with 'blade friction,' I think the near mach speed of the blades and the sand are the culprit.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home