JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Baskin Robbins

OK, I can hear the protests already, “You’ve been holding out on us, you never told us you have ice cream there…,” and it is true: I have been holding out on you, and we do have ice cream here at the DFAC. Baskin Robbins, no less. We don’t have 31 flavors, we have (usually) two flavors and a sherbet (I’ve never really put sherbet in the same category as ice cream, call me a purist…). Last night, Saturday night, the DFAC got a shipment of A&W in (they usually have quite a selection of soda, but it’s kind of a rotating door except for Coca Cola and Sprite, it’s hit or miss), and Sunday being the night I allow myself a bowl of ice cream, I was hoping for a perfect mix: A&W AND B&R vanilla ice cream. I had to really restrain myself, as Saturday night they had mint chocolate chip, and I was really tempted to go for the instant gratification rather than hold out for the long shot odds of having the makings for a real honest to goodness root beer float. But hold out I did, and it was definitely worth it.

The tricky part was actually fixing it. The only cups they have in the DFAC are 8oz paper coffee cups, not very conducive to Marine-sized root beer floats. I cast my eyes around for something that would work, and saw a bunch of two liter water bottles in the cooler. I stepped outside the DFAC for an instant, dumped the water, cut off the top with the handy CRKT my little brother gave me (see, Greg, I’m putting it to a very lofty purpose), had the ice cream guy put in two dollops of B&R, added two cans of A&W, and I was THERE. Man, what a deal. It was so smooth (yes, Sheryl, I insured the ice cream was fully integrated with the soda before I commenced to swig). And this was all made possible by YOU, the United States Citizen taxpayer. Thank you very much! This was the 3rd anniversary of the US invasion of Iraq, don’t know if that had any significance to MY celebration, but true, none-the-less.

Semper Fi, Jon G.

5 Comments:

Blogger JarHedJon said...

Dad: I guess I have a tradition in our family for those floats, after the reunion in Texas that I could not attend... If you or Mom could email me Les' address, I'll snail mail him if I get the chance...
Semper Fi, Jon G.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Lina said...

Mummy read this entry to us last night after supper--we all enjoyed it very much! I'm very glad you got to have a root beer float- getting to have the A & W with it is even better! We got back safely from our spring break mission trip--now I just have to get used to 'real' life again. I read the article by Orson Scott Card--I really enjoyed it. I really liked his comment on no one successfully fighting a war on stupidity! Take care!

6:55 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Matt: Well, I don't know if I would walk two miles in 120 degrees to get some ice cream, it sure is nice to have it in the DFAC. A whole pint of hot fudge sauce!? WOW, I've never seen anything like that. If I do, I'll let you know.. There are some Ugandans on this base, and they are enjoying the chow immensely, some of them can really put the food away, but they are not THAT focused on sweet stuff.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

9:04 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Lina: Glad you got back safely, I hear you are departing even earlier than expected (this summer). Yes, I agree, Card has a way with words, and he had some choice comments for the members of his own political party... He had a really good article on his weekly post about President Bush, too. I'll be praying for you this summer.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

9:09 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Helen: It does not rain often here, though I guess I should more accurately say the rain (since I've been here) rarely reaches the ground. It is so dry, it probably evaporates before it reaches us... It has rained once or twice, and talk about a mess... Thanks for the prayers and updates.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home