JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Friday, March 17, 2006

Moral High Ground

Before I take off on a rant (which I am probably likely to do sooner or later), I’d like to thank niece Nicole, sister-in-law Brenda, long-time friend Brendan, younger bro Greg, cousin James, and former classmate Ruth Mossman for an all time record six Moto-mails yesterday. Nicole’s was the first Moto-mail that was in 14 font instead of 9 font, making it easier to read (and making it LOOK like it was double the length, to boot), don’t know how she worked that out… Brenda, thanks for sticking it out through being timed out 3 times, I can appreciate how difficult it is to say it just the way you wanted the third time around (even without the frustration factor), and congratulations on officially joining the family BMW Classy Biker Trash Club. James, it’s tough enough living up to my Commanding Officer’s expectations, let alone your daughters, but please tell her I’m giving it 110%. Brendan, thanks for the Bob’s Bluff memory—and for following my blog and your support—Happy St. Paddy’s day (from the O’ side of my family), we’ll have to put a day aside in a year or so for a game of Empire Builders. Ruth, thanks for passing on the info, and for your prayers and support.

Freedom of speech and expression aside for a minute, have you ever read a book that never should have been written (at least by that author)? Bought a product that failed to function as advertised? Been to an art gallery that had something on display, but it wasn’t art? Listened to scientific evidence that was really biased entrepreneurial genius funded by money with an agenda? Watched a drama that turned out to be a Soap Opera? I believe that there is such a thing as truth, and that truth can be boiled down into little bits and pieces, each piece being appropriate for its time and season. Sometimes these ‘truths’ are contradictory: “too many cooks spoil the broth” and “many hands make light work” are examples of this. If I paint something that represents how I see or interpret the world, I suppose you could call that art or expression, but if I paint a picture and say, “this is how my brother sees the world,” I am one step removed from art, truth and expression, as I’ve wandered into the realm of opinion, interpretation, and judgment. I think there is a moral line that can be crossed in terms of what can be expressed and what should be expressed. How is that moral line recognized or defined? Good question. What do you think?

Semper Fi, Jon G.

1 Comments:

Blogger JarHedJon said...

Mike: You hit the nail on the head, as far as I'm concerned. Glad I was expressing myself clearly enough to elicit a follow-on comment more succinct and to the point than my original statement.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home