JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Card deals...

Instead of writing further on some of my views regarding US involvement in GWOT, I was pointed to an article written by Orson Scott Card (author of Ender’s Game and numerous other books of outstanding merit) by a Marine Major who distributed it to us, his fellow classmates undergoing a professional military education (PME) experience. My views are startlingly close to Card’s, who deals with a whole range of topics in his weekly column. You can check out Card’s views on Iraq and find links to his point of view on other issues at http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2006-01-15-1.html.

Every day the trumpet practices get more and more fun. I’m still a long way from trying out for the 5th grade band (something I did once, so I know what I’m talking about), but every day the note-on-the-page-to-mind-to-finger-to-push-the-right-valve communication gets a little better. I’ve been queried as to what good it does to play the trumpet when I’m going to switch to tuba soon, and this is the best answer I can give (seeing as the valve combinations per note for the tuba is the same as for the trumpet, of course several octaves removed and on a different scale). Speaking of the tuba, a Navy Lieutenant currently practicing French horn with us introduced me to a steel machinist in his Construction Battalion who is going to make me a mouthpiece from brass, so hopefully I’ll be able to transition to the tuba sooner rather than later. We’ll see. Additionally, his efforts provide adequate excuse to scrap my sorry efforts to carve one out of the heart-wood of a section of a local sapling (which attempt I might keep for a conversation piece—how I arguably might have turned a tuba into a woodwind).

Semper Fi, Jon G.

4 Comments:

Blogger Linda B said...

Jon--I really enjoyed reading the Card column. If I remember correctly, I was the one who first recommended Ender's Game to you. Sorry I haven't written much lately. I've been sick for over a week now and struggling to keep the household going with Walter and the 4 oldest kids all gone. Are you still able to keep up with my blog? Because it seems pointless to write you the same information if you have access to it!

Love,
Linda

10:20 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Helen: I can usually post to the blog daily via email, what I can't do as often now is read the blog, read comments, and answer comments. Thanks for your patience in this regard. Wow, I'm looking forward to a PACKAGE, way cool!
Semper Fi, Jon G.

10:21 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Dad: thanks for the suggestion regarding the trumptuba, I'll have to try the idea out on my fellow band members... Sheryl has a wish list from me, you are right about the fruitcake: YOU COULD NOT GO WRONG with Mom's fruitcake...
Semper Fi, Jon G.

10:25 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Linda: you WERE the one who recommended Ender's Game to me, and I've read a lot of Card since... I could have access to your blog here, but don't have the link, Sheryl is sending it to me from My Favorites at home--you don't have to repeat all the information. Thanks.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home