JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

MOTO MAIL

There is a service available (currently, only to Marine commands) that has been established for reasons of… well, whatever the reasons, the effect is a dramatic improvement of morale, particularly for those Marines who don’t have daily access to email (the majority of Marines out here). Here is how Moto-Mail works: go to their web site at www.motomail.us, apply for a free account using my name and rank and the address below (which is also my regular snail mail address), and then type in a soft copy (electronic or email version) of your message. The limitations are: text only, no attachments, and not more than would fit on one full 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. Hit the “SEND” button.

I MEF G2
UIC 42510
FPO AP 96426-2510

Your email letter to me is then electronically sent, like an email, to the military post office closest to my location here in country. It is immediately printed out in a secure already-sealed envelope (in the way old monthly pay stubs used to be distributed) by a sort of teletype machine. Then your email is delivered to me as a letter with your address at top left and my address dead center, just like a letter. Thanks to Sheryl, my Dad, my younger brother Greg, and my father-in-law Joe, I can now confirm that Moto-mail is up and working the way it should, and I am getting Moto-mails within 24 hours of them being printed in country.

As Sheryl has said in her blog, I really enjoy receiving Moto-mails, and I feel that I can contribute to a reduction in the use of government bandwidth and email resources by encouraging folks to use this method of communication with me (which is why none of you have my deployed email address, much as I love and appreciate all of you). The bad news for you is that there is no such free service that goes from where I am back to you, the service only works from the US to here, or from one post office within country to another post office within country (a lot of deployed Marines that know each other but are not in the same command stay in touch this way). Ain’t technology great?! Especially as I have plausible deniability when it comes to a timely response…

Semper Fi, Jon G.

2 Comments:

Blogger JarHedJon said...

Mom: Thanks for sending me a Moto-mail, I got Dad's last night, hopefully I'll get yours today. I would have thought if you typed them in the same time, they would have been delivered about the same time. I'll let you know when it gets here:)
Semper Fi, Jon G.

10:34 PM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Ruth: Thanks for pointing out the difference between what I say my address is and what Moto mail has in their menu. I just checked the address on the Moto mails I've been getting, and it IS different. I'll address it in my next blog. Thanks for your prayers. The address correction should work for Dan as well.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home