JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Monday, February 27, 2006

Pancho Villa

I have always felt that the USMC so-called eight point cover (part of the garrison wear of the Marine Corps Pattern Digital Desert Combat Utility Uniform, or MARPAT DDCU) was a fairly minimal garment as far as head gear went, somewhat better than a beret (as it actually did shield the eyes from the sun), but somewhat less effective than the so-called “boonie” wide brimmed cloth floppy hat. Hence, when I was informed that wear of the boonie hat was authorized in the field (where I am), at the earliest opportunity I packed my eight points and pulled out the boonie. In addition, the boonie comes with a chin strap with a plastic toggle cinch on it, not only great for keeping the hat on your head in windy conditions, but, I figured, great for when I entered a building. In the military, when you enter a building, one’s cover is removed—and the problem with the boonie over the eight point is that it is bulkier and harder to stuff in one’s pocket. So, with that handy dandy chin strap, I would just loosen the cinch all the way, and push the hat back off my head, where it would hang off my neck on my back. No need to stuff it in a pocket, but nicely removed for while in doors.

Well, I did not reckon on tradition and uniformity working against utility in this case, but it did. After a few days of glorying in the built-in convenience and superb utility of the boonie cover’s many features, I was approached by a senior officer in my chain of command. He very politely informed me that persons un-named (but implied they were undoubtedly senior in rank to either him or myself) had observed my Pancho Villa-like treatment of my boonie cover during periods when it was not on top of my head, and tactfully suggested I switch back to an eight point cover should I find myself resenting the continual stuffing of the boonie into my cargo pocket when duty or leisure required me to convey myself into a building. The same day, some Marines had noticed me employing my chin strap to keep the boonie on my head, and this actually became the topic of conversation—it seems that every other Marine tucks the chin strap into the cover or simply cuts it off prior to donning the said headgear.

I still elect to wear my boonie cover, as it is such a superlative item of protective headgear over the eight point cover. It was fairly distressing to me, though, to physically cut off the chin strap so I would not be tempted to employ it for its designed purpose. Me, a Marine of 24 years, disobeying one of the standing 11 General Orders (willful damage or destruction to government property) for the sake of tradition and uniformity. Sometimes, I guess, there is just nothing left to say.

Semper Fi, Jon G.

4 Comments:

Blogger Linda B said...

Jon--the kids all loved your hat story. I read your blog entries aloud to the family during lunch or supper (depending on when you post) so that the kids will all be able to keep up on your news. The general consensus among the younger generation here is that although the hat strap may be practical, wearing it Pancho Villa style is "dorky." Not that you would care!

Love
Linda

10:10 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Burklin Family: OK, I guess I deserved dorky, but I prefer to think of it as efficient. Truth be told, everyone (except the chaplains and some medical personnel) is armed (carrying a weapon of some sort) here, wherever they go--including the chowhall. And in the military, it is regulation that when armed, covers (headgear) are worn indoors. However, that convention is, for some reason, not adhered to, which if it was, I never would have had to resort to the Pancho Villa habit in the first place. I'm glad you're reading my blog, but now I feel under pressure to really make it meaningful--right when I have a serious case of writer's block.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

7:19 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Joe: Well, not really "nothing," just that my options are to continue talking endlessly (like Howard Cosell) long after anyone is convinced I have anything meaningful to say and have forgotten exactly what (or why) I was saying what I was saying anyway, or to say "nothing." In this case, nothing seemed like the better option--or I could go on a crusade to get everyone to follow regulations and stay covered indoors while under arms.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

7:22 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Paul: OK, Dude, thanks for letting the cat out of the bag in a public forum, I never told Sheryl that I shared my letters to her with you... I appreciate the compliment, though, I'll try to keep it coming. By the way, I left Sheryl about 6 'headshots' in a file that she could rotate into the picture on my blog, including one that matches the one on her blog (taken at the Marine Corps Ball last year), we'll see when she gets tired of the biker trash one.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home