JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Modernization

Two months ago, our family had simple land lines, snail mail, and email; no laptops, no PDAs, no cell phones, no web pages—basically, we were still in the late 80’s, techno-wise. And here we are today, our family has a cell phone, I use a laptop at work, we can send snail mail via the internet using an electronic message system, and we have two blogs in the family. Yes, TWO blogs. Sheryl has started her own blog at http://2006marinewife.blogspot.com/. She started her blog to enable passing SWAG (related to her, not me) simultaneously to all of you who want to know how she is doing. She really wants to keep all of you informed, but is also very busy, and cannot take the time to write a plethora of emails to all of you. Please feel free to go to her blog, save it as one of your favorite links, and consider yourself connected to the most important, most wonderful, most capable, most supportive Marine wife (who is also a very independent and secure person in her own right, and doesn’t’ feel the need to capitalize on my uniform for the furtherance of personal position or status, assuming someone or some group might perceive it as such).

I’ve been raving about the chow here, and I thought I’d tell you all what our menu was this evening: veal parmesan or chicken cordon bleu, with steamed rice, buttered mashed potatoes (with two gravy options), and steamed cauliflower. Minestrone soup or vegetable rice were the soup of the day options, with a full salad bar, three different types of potato salad, 12 different soda selections, 3 separate milk selections, 8 different juice selections, decaf or regular coffee, 3 types of cookie, pecan pie, cherry cheesecake, jello and fruit cocktail, pears, or peaches. If none of that grabbed you, there was a fast food line that served chili macaroni, hot dogs, hamburgers, chili dogs, 3 different kinds of chips, potato fries, or a pizza line that serves two separate varieties of personal pizza. No, it’s not like being at home, but it does tend to make the separation more palatable. I only ran three miles today, I think I’ll have to step up the distance….

Semper Fi, Jon G.

5 Comments:

Blogger JarHedJon said...

Ruth: ran into Dan, his deployment will be cut shorter than expected, as he's been assigned a command position back in the States. Thanks for your prayers, support, and for helping to keep folks connected!
Semper Fi, Jon G.

12:25 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Matt: amazing as it may seem, I've eaten so well since getting on the buses at Camp Pendleton that I have not yet opened the 2 MRE's they issued me there! I don't know if it is worth it to hang onto them and lug them around everywhere so I can eat them on a camping trip more than a year from now... I'll have to check which meal they are, and make a decision...
Semper Fi, Jon G.

12:28 AM  
Blogger Sonny Portacio said...

The first part of your post reminded me of a song:

"No phone, No light, No motor car,Not a single luxury. Like Robinson C-ru-soe, it's primitive as can be ..."

8:48 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Sonny: Don't know the song, I think, but even though it is primative, I'm very thankful for the relative safety of my existence vice most of the other Marines in country--and I'm able to experience a quality of life way beyond my expectations. There are definitely degrees of primitive.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

7:43 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Ruth: Don't know how short Dan's tour will be, he may not be cutting out of here for a couple of months, at least, but I think his new command will be right back at Pendleton, with his family.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home