JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Splendor & Chow

I'm currently staying in transient billeting awaiting transportation for the final leg of my trip to my duty station. Word is this will be a 30+ hour layover, 2/3rds of which has already slipped by. The stark, rugged beauty of this land is most spectacular at sunset, closely seconded by sinrises. The panoramic vista of the star-laden night sky is beyond impressive. Even the current half-moon sheds almost enough light to read Dr. Suess' "Oh, The Places You'll Go"(not that I had enough room in my seabag for that classic).

The living quarters for transients is, I'm sure, sub-standard by Air Force regulations, but considerably better than I experienced in the field Stateside or at various other postings overseas. Most significant is the outstanding quality and plentiful provision of chow. History is replete with military experiences that tie morale to sustenance, and my initial conviction is that this has been nowhere more true than here. Whatever the shortcomings and no matter the over-runs, the food provision contract is, in more ways than one, giving the taxpayers their money's worth. For this, United States, I say, "Thank You."

Semper Fi, Jon G.

4 Comments:

Blogger JarHedJon said...

Mom: Unfortunately, food definitely has not lost its flavor, and if I'm not careful, I'll eat more than I'll burn... Little early for spring in your neck of the woods, is it not? Pray for Sheryl, too, it is really rough for her right now, with me not there....
Semper Fi, Jon G.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Sonny Portacio said...

Jon,

It's great to get these updates from you. The personal perspectives that you infuse within your writings gives us insight into your world. In some ways at least, it's amazing how much smaller "halfway around the world" feels when messages travel at the speed of light. In other ways, you still seem way to far away.

God Bless

8:09 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Sonny: Again, thanks for the encouragement. Travel has always wierded me out, thinking about the time/space/distance continuum, etc. It IS bizarre, in many ways, that in 19 1/2 hours I can be on the other side of the world, and I can communicate almost instantaneously.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

12:35 PM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Paul: Good to hear from you, Man, I'm glad things are going well in Alaska. Boy, that glaciaral ice seems farther away than ever....
Semper Fi, Jon G.

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home