JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Grass is Greener...

After Sheryl and I got married, I mourned my autonomy for years, wishing I could “be free” again. When I was still getting only snail mail, friends were getting emails, and I wanted to be electronically connected. As a bookworm, I’ve always been jealous of how many movies other people watch. After an enjoyable two week period in the desert in ’95, I’ve managed to convince myself that it would be great to live in the desert. After years of eating mediocre chow at numerous nameless chowhalls, I’ve longed for sumptuous fare and a plethora of dining options. I’ve occasionally struggled with my motivation for attending worship, figuring that enjoying leisure for my own sake is probably better than doing anything for God out of duty or false motivation.

Well, now I’ve got a lot of personal freedom (not a lot of professional freedom, but then, I never have had that…), and all I want is Sheryl back in my life. Now my friends and I are getting lots of emails, but we long for snail mail. There are so many media devices over here that I’m longing for a good book to escape from it all. After only a week in the desert, I’d settle for Southern California semi-desert in a heartbeat. I’d gladly go back to mediocre chow so my application of personal discipline (I don’t have much) would not be so sorely and frequently challenged. And right now, I really miss the Community of folks who were a significant part of and participant with me in my worship experience

Maybe instead of “The grass is always greener,” this could be titled, “Be careful what you wish for.”

Semper Fi, Jon G.

3 Comments:

Blogger scott f said...

Hi Jon, Glad to hear your eating well and working out your attire issues. I hope the transition into your job is going smoothly. I'm sure you're exceeding their expectations. We had a couple weeks of sunny weather, but it's back to rainy and cold here in seattle. A few days ago we woke up to a tiny bit of snow, but enough to get Chester excited. You may feel vindicated to know he growled at another good friend who walked into the house unanounced. Hopefully next time, he'll be more cordial. =) Love, Scott and Renee

6:51 PM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Scott & Renee: I probably won't fully settle into a routine for about two weeks, due to personnel rotation related issues. Don't know about exceeding expectations, all I can do is give it my all. Rain, snow, man, I'm actually glad I'm NOT there (I still LIKE the desert, just am no longer enamored with it). As for Chester and I, maybe absence makes the heart grow fonder--mention my name to him, and see if he barks/growls.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Ann Weaver said...

Jon,

When it really gets hot, you can dream of the last two days we have had here in Minnesota. A beautiful 2-4" of snow with weather that needs only a turtle neck and a sweat shirt. It is sunny and with the snow glistening on the trees, we have it made!!!

I would comment on all the coffee without food, but hey, I think I read that you were 44 years old? Okay, I'm done.

Thanks for your consistant notes! Love and prayers!
Ann

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home