JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Sunday, March 05, 2006

1st Sunday in Lent

There is an awesome place of worship here on base called The Chapel of Hope where I was able to attend services on Ash Wednesday and today. Some of the personnel in the congregation I knew and recognized from the trip here, others I did not know, but they are the physical manifestation of the Body of Christ for the remaining 50 weeks of my stay here. There are three options for Sunday worship, liturgical, contemporary, or Gospel, and I can’t say that I could expound sensibly on the differences between the three; I attended the liturgical at 0915, and due to the provision of God’s grace was able to partake in the sacrament of communion. What a blessing.

I was contemplating something meaningful that I could “give up” for Lent, and a cynical (“old nature”) voice worked hard at convincing me that I am already “missing” or “sacrificing” enough right now, thank you very much. Fortunately, I “know” enough church history and about some of the origins of the traditional and church calendars that I was able to ignore this voice. I “know” enough about my own selfishness, self-centeredness, and pride, to see through (or partly through) the “It’s all about me” or “I’m the center of the universe” argument. Of course, this “knowledge” is not mine, but God’s grace—for which I am so thankful. So I am “giving something up,” and though it isn’t much, in the big scheme of things, it is something that several times a day brings to mind the 40 days of preparation the Lord spent in the desert following his baptism and prior to the beginning of his official public ministry. I thank Him that HE was able to deny temptation and through the ministry of the Father and the Spirit take the hard road.

Semper Fi, Jon G.

9 Comments:

Blogger JarHedJon said...

Bob & Sharon: Didn't know the story would be so big, can't wait to see how the pics of Joshua turned out. Thanks for your prayers and encouragement.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

9:23 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Shawn: You encourage me, Dude. And I must apologize for not tackling some of the work I told Peter I'd try to take care of while in transit. Let me just say the mood was not on me to get into it (I guess travel is stressful enough without pressuring yourself to DO something as well, especially when one can SLEEP. I look forward to getting back, as well (only 50 more weeks).
Semper Fi, Jon G.

10:30 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Carolyn: Thank you so much for your blessings and your prayers, especially in regards for my family while I'm gone--I worry about them. Statistically, it's more dangerous to be on the road in the United States than it is to be in the military over here...
Semper Fi, Jon G.

10:34 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Sharon: I answered you a couple comments back, but I guess it got lost in the either when I hit the "send" button... Thanks for being a friend and companion for Sheryl through this stressful, if not difficult, time in her life. Thanks for loving Joshua and befriending him as well. I'm really proud of Sheryl and the work she is doing at SCPC, I know God knows--but it's nice for others to notice as well. Have fun at lunch, and I'll try to keep the blogs rolling...
Semper Fi, Jon G.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Dan Mielke said...

Hi Jon, Your posting has made me rethink my commitment to forgo raw oysters and spoiled milk for Lent.

Perhaps I have not entered the season in the right spirit.

Raw potatoes?

Dan Mielke

5:47 PM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

David: right, 'celebbrity,' famous 'cause I'm an over-the-hill rear-echelon reservist trying to remember what it is I'm supposed to do to best support the jarheads who are really fighting the fight. Glad you're enjoying the bike, those tires are 95/5, if you wind up spending more time off-road you are welcome to put knobbies on it...
Semper Fi, Jon G.

11:38 PM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Dad: I'm glad you're finally hooked up here, as well--occasionally I loose a post too, but not regularly like was happenning to you... Lent is not something that I remember as being a part of our year growing up, could be the British Brethren Zambia annex sort of let it go, and I doubt it would have had much significance. As an adult, now, having taken a little ownership of it, it is more significant.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

11:42 PM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Dan: Good to hear from you. I don't know about raw potatoes, they are a delicacy in many parts of the world (Ireland, maybe?). Maybe you could give up that raw Oregon caviar (wait, isn't caviar raw, anyway?). Maybe, for the sake of other readers, we should give up this 'dry' exchange...
Semper Fi, Jon G.

11:46 PM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Roger: Thanks for your post, and I think of all of you guys in the group fairly often myself, please pass on my greetings. Yes, comeraderie is an awesome thing, 2nd best to Fellowship--some shared experiences seem to create a bond that time is unable to sever.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home