JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Bright Spot

In the midst of long days, multiple mundane tasks, and the monotony of periodic recurring chores, it is easy to descend into discouragement (or worse). I have discovered, however, that I am surrounded by a plethora of indomitable entities that are determined to not only survive, but thrive. The one in twenty or so that I pass on my walk to work that smile and greet me with genuine cheer. The men that are in the brass quintet with me who meet daily, for whatever reason, to make ‘music’ (OK, noise, at this point, would be a closer description, but nevertheless a meaningful process by which it is derived. And a praise note, the Chaplain, our trombonist, found another trumpet player, so we are in fact a full quintet—‘til our French horn player leaves in 20 days). You, who read and comment on this blog, send me Motomails, packages, and snail mail, are a MAJOR breakthrough in the otherwise downward spiraling gyre. There is even a sprig of bougainvillea that is brightening the mud-brown covered gravel adjacent to the sand brown concrete steps in front of our khaki brown painted barracks affectionately referred to by its inmates as a blockhouse. There is church on Sunday in the midst of an every-day-is-the-same seven day routine.

Thank you for your prayers, your support of Sheryl and Joshua, and your support of me. I experience God’s blessings every hour of every day, in His protection of me, in His provision for me, and in His intervention in my life. Please pray that I would get a little more proactive in my response to His intervention. Thanks.

Semper Fi, Jon G.

1 Comments:

Blogger JarHedJon said...

Dad: Yes, one does here certain words of vulgar origin fairly often around here, not only to describe the delightful features of this camp. There is a contingent of folks here from Africa, but I don't know if they have a choir, it would be great to hear them sing... In the meantime, I have some Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Thanks for the heads up on the package, I'll keep a look out for it.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home