JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Thursday, March 30, 2006

When in Rome...

There was some interest, before I left the US, regarding how much interaction I might have with residents of this country, what opportunities might be presented through these relationship, if any, and the possible long-term potential of friendships forged over a year long period. I can reasonably comment on this aspect of my deployment here based on experience thus far: almost no interaction, no opportunity exists, and there is absolutely no long-term potential. This has positives and negatives. We utilize only the real estate and structures that we occupy, which minimizes a plethora of impacts we could have on the existent culture. It is this country’s stated desire that all measures possible be taken to minimize these impacts. We have the reputation world wide of pretty much showing up and setting up shop and operating the way we want to (we take Rome with us, instead of doing as they do in Rome when we get there), and this is generally true of our operation here. I spend maybe 12 minutes a week face to face with a citizen of this country, and always in a setting in which conversation is both impractical and inappropriate.

That being said, there are fairly large contingents of personnel here from around the world who are participants in the mission of Coalition Forces (CF, I know, another acronym). It is possible that friendships could develop with any number of these persons, given the context, routine interaction and the requisite time and interest by both parties. I’ve seen and talked with some of these folks, including a few that have attended the same church service. There is certainly potential in this direction, something that could be pursued further. I think it would be tremendous to get into or initiate a small group with people from different cultural and national backgrounds. No solid ideas yet (as to who or when we’d meet), it depends on what ‘doors open.’

Semper Fi, Jon G.

2 Comments:

Blogger Egypt McKee said...

Jon-

Well said! I'm trusting the Lord has already begun using you, in spite of short burst conversations or random passer-by's. It's obvious that you are the Good and Faithful Servant that God wants there at this time for His purpose. I can't say I undersand, because I don't. Inasmuch as you time will someday come to a close, rest in knowing you have already touched many by just being "You". I continue to pray for you, Shery and Joshua. Be encouraged my friend.

In His Grip,

Egypt McKee
Out of Egypt Ministries
www.outofegypt.info

11:56 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Egypt: Thanks for your prayers and encourging words. I am fighting a familiar battle over here, that of prioritizing the non-mandatory essentials over the tyrannical demand of the non-essential urgent. I may be losing certain battles in this regard, but I pray I am winning the war...
Semper Fi, Jon G.

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home