JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Sad Moratorium

I was just consuming the last of the desserts of Jim & Dana’s generosity, when I was overwhelmed yesterday by the receipt of two care packages, one from Joe & Helen and one from Kristen and Rani. I want to say a special thank you to Jim & Dana, Joe & Helen, and Kristen & Rani—your gifts are all deeply appreciated, and all greatly enjoyed. It is with deep regret and almost inconsolable sorrow that I must inform all who are caring for me so substantially that the season for shipping chocolate (or similar confection with a low melting point) in this part of the world has come to an end. I routinely put a large jar out in the sun to make tea, and after three hours the water is hot enough to scald the hand that removes the tea bags. Packages in route to base are often staged in metal shipping containers in the direct sunlight for a day or two, which does just not do pleasant things to chocolate coated pretzels.

Chocolate lovers everywhere will understand when I say that messy though it may be in the eating, and as extensive and tedious as the cleanup required may be, the consuming of chocolate is worth it. However, despite my willingness to afford the time to this pursuit, the Corps is less willing to see it my way (ie, I can’t spend TOO much time away from my desk in selfish pursuit). A friend of mine received some chocolate covered expresso beans that actually appeared to be liquid jello in the plastic bag. He allowed the bag to to cool to room temperature, after which he consumed the contents like a chocolate bar. I have two large plastic containers of pretty much the best peanut butter cups I’ve ever tasted, but they are congealed into a glued-together mess. My plan is to allow the containers to sit in the sun, when the contents are sufficiently liquid carefully remove each of the paper ‘cups’ that each candy is wrapped in, insure the peanut butter/chocolate mixture is proportionate, allow the mixture to cool, and then consume. I’m open to advice—any one have a better plan?

Semper Fi, Jon G.

3 Comments:

Blogger JarHedJon said...

Joe: Actually, the mini Snickers bars (red, white and blue wrappings, very nice!) that you and Helen sent came through great, it was clear they has lost some of their original shape, but they were not messy to eat at room temperature, nor was most of the chocolate "lost" on the wrapper. Thanks for your encouragement.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

12:46 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Ruth: Our spaces are currently cooled to 75 or 80, but as the temperature goes up, so will the difficulty of mainaining that large a difference in temperature. However, my room mate and I bought a fridge for $60 apeice (works out to less than $5 a month for the time we're here, definitely worth it), so we have the appropriate chocolate hardening capability. I'll let you know how it turns out...
Semper Fi, Jon G.

10:59 PM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Gama3: That's not a bad idea: just unwrap all the peanut butter cups, remove the paper 'cups,' and put them all in a jiffy peanut butter jar. Whatever shape they're in when they arrive, I can melt, pour, cool, and enjoy!
Semper Fi, Jon G.

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home