JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Partly Wrong

This is one occasion where I’m delighted to say I was partly wrong. Yes, we’re still talking about chocolate. Yesterday I received a great care package from Jim and Barbara full of an eclectic mix of useful and not-so-useful but very enjoyable items. Drink mixes for hot & cold beverages, pictures from home, magazines, a variety of snacks and grub, and, YES, chocolate. The chocolate was mostly in large BAR form (maybe increased mass is helpful in this case, hard to tell), individually wrapped, and of the several varieties they included in the package, it appears that all of them will be JUST FINE. That being said, we are just getting into summer weather here, and though daily temperatures peak at about 115 (the minimum is around 85), we’ll soon be peaking at about 125, and figuring an additional 10 degrees for anything inside a metal shipping container—it doesn’t look good for the average variety chocolate. High temperatures seem particularly tough on the chocolate peanut butter mixes, like peanut butter cups, which is lamentable, as this type of chocolate is at the very top of my personal list.

My heartfelt thanks to Jim and Barbara for thinking of me and making a specific effort to send me meaningful ‘stuff.’ I received a gift from Joshua for Father’s Day which Jim also had a part in: Joshua painted a surf board at a paint-your-own-pottery place at a Dad’s and Kids outing some time back which he was able to go to in part due to Jim’s generosity and sponsorship. I feel very blessed.

Semper Fi, Jon G.

1 Comments:

Blogger JarHedJon said...

Dad: I've thought about eating chocolate over here in this place, and historically speaking, a pretty select few, probably, are in club of people that have enjoyed chocolate in this locale. There is little record of chocolate existing outside of South America until the 1700's?, and climate/storage and confectioner's skill (or lack thereof) made import/export impractical at best. As to the note, I meant it, and hope you had a great day.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home