JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Ducklings


I don’t think I’ve mentioned the ducks that live in a water reservoir near where I work (there are four reservoirs in the immediate vicinity). There are three (that’s all I’ve seen) adults that are BIG, and upon arrival here my first guess was that the chow at the chow hall is good enough to dissuade any would be duck connoisseurs (hunters and fixers both, I guess) as there is obviously no shortage of weapons or ammunition to dispatch a few ducks. Well, since then, my views on the continued existence of the ducks has changed. There have been two sets of ducklings, three ‘showed up’ about a month ago, they’re getting pretty big now, it seems like they double in size every week or so. The recent lot are still chicks, very cute, there are nine of them. They go on these daily sojourns from the ‘pond’ to areas where there are lots of grass cuttings, bugs, or whatever it is that ducks like to eat; whatever it is, it works. I think the ducks and chicks have come to be a symbol to many here of the process of life, how worthy of protection it is, what a wonderful gift it is. Practically every day I see some Marine, weapon slung, sweating under body armor in 100 degree heat, running with a camera after the ducks to get a good picture of them. I think, now, that if anyone tried to harm one of these ducks, they’d face the wrath of the camp, as well as a Summary Court Martial. Maybe a little overdramatic. Ah well, they’re OUR ducks… or at least, entrusted to our care.

Semper Fi, Jon G.

6 Comments:

Blogger JarHedJon said...

Dad: Good pun, and thanks for reading my blogs. I know how tedious it can be to comment on a blog, I actually commented on Lina's blog a couple of days ago. I also sent a moto mail to a Marine out here, so I know that process as well. Thanks for letting me hear your 'voice.'
Semper Fi, Jon G.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Lina said...

I love hearing human details in the stories about Iraq--knowing that Marines care about ducklings and take pictures of them and protect them makes the soldiers fighting for freedom seem more real. Those are some very cute ducklings too! Some of our friends have kittens right now and I would have LOVED to take one home--who can resist a kitten? Hope you are over your bug--it really stinks to be just sort of sick and not totally laid out. You have to keep going that way! ; ) Take care!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Linda B said...

Jon--I read your blog faithfully but don't often comment. Hopefully you are reading mine so you know our news. One of my little ducklings is leaving the nest tomorrow. Lina leaves for Zambia and I am all tired from getting her ready!

8:46 PM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Lina: Glad you enjoy my not-so-usual Marine blog. Did you see I posted a comment on your blog the other day? Thought I would repay the compliment. Have a safe trip, and I'll be praying for you.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

11:14 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Helen: That is good news about George and Wanda. Glad you had fun watching the kids have fun at the party! I actually got a card from Judy about the Arizona move, she snail mails me often. Thanks for your prayers and thoughts.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

11:16 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Linda: I am looking at your blog at least once a week now, and enjoy staying caught up. Bummer about Flynn and his toe woes. Wishing Lina a great send off.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home