JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Uncertain future

Of course, the future is always uncertain. In fact, ‘uncertain’ is just a very kind way of saying “absolutely beyond the scope of our ability to control or predict outside of divine revelation.” Rather than tell a 2nd hand story here, I’m talking about my own future. What was expected to be a routine extension of my orders that would allow me to serve well into 2007 has turned out to be not so routine. There are at least two opposed schools of thought regarding my orders, and though I have my own opinions about who is interpreting the situation ‘correctly,’ the ‘school’ that is rejecting the continuation of my orders has the upper hand. At stake is a two week R&R trip that I was going to take shortly to spend some time with Sheryl and Joshua—a trip I do not ‘rate’ if I am prevented from serving a full tour in theatre. As it stands, the R&R trip is canceled, my orders will end prior to the completion of my tour, and continued Active service beyond the end of those orders is in doubt.

I believe that the Marine Corps is God’s instrument for directing my future, not vice versa, and there are pros and cons to either situation. Since I cannot ‘see’ the future, it is difficult for me to ‘champion’ either position, as for me comparing the advantages and disadvantages of the options is like comparing apples and oranges (as opposed to comparing apples with apples). Please pray for the ability to take full ownership and to be ‘fully invested’ in the directives, laws (we’re talking Title 10 United States Code, here) and orders that ultimately resolve this situation.

Semper Fi, Jon G.

4 Comments:

Blogger JarHedJon said...

Joe: It is discouraging, but the workload here makes it pretty difficult to stay in the moment. I suppose that as a result the highers are lower and the lows are less low, but the actual coping timeline of either high or low takes longer to return to neutral. Thanks for your prayer, it means a lot.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

8:15 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Dad: Thanks for the word and the scripture reference! I'm on Lina's distro (through Sheryl) and am able to stay up with what's going on with her in Zambia. Pretty cool.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

3:45 PM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Bob & Dorothy: I appreciate your love and your prayers!! One of the tougher things about this situation is that Sheryl tells me Joshua has been praying every night for me to come home in August, if I don't, Sheryl doesn't know how she'll be able to tell Joshua without Joshua being convinced that God doesn't answer prayer. In the moment, this seems like way more important to me than Title 10 USC...
Semper Fi, Jon G.

3:49 PM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Brad: My tour (my projected service to the unit I'm in now) was to last until July '07. This new wrinkle would diminish my overall service to the point where my deployment would not last beyond 270 days, but it is possible that following a 30 day break from orders, I could recieve more orders, but there is no guarantee in that regard. I think the Marine Corps certainly could use my continued service, though there are a lot of ways to contibute without going on active duty again. Sheryl and I will have to weigh the options following the resolution of the current situations...
Semper Fi, Jon G.

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home