JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Reduce Stress

There has been some interest regarding how well my plan to pace myself for the long haul of this deployment is working. Although it is hard for me to be totally non-prejudiced in my self-analysis, I’ll do my best to fill you in. Although the work load is still daunting (more than I seem to be able to accomplish in my shifts, which work out to be 10 to 11 hours), I’ve discovered which things I can postpone until I have some ‘spare’ moments. I’ve also discovered which things must be done immediately, regarding the intrusion on my daily list of ‘routine’ things that need to be done, and both of these discoveries have greatly aided a sense that I am prioritizing my time based on the importance of the task. This alone has worked to reduce a significant amount of stress, as the bulk of my early time here was spent in very frustrating but time-consuming activity relating to ‘cleaning house’ and ‘clearing the floor’ associated with the RIP/TOA (Relief in Place, Transfer of Operational Authority).

I have discovered two short devotionals that I read every day (Knowing God Daily by the Blackaby’s and EveryMan Every Day by Kenny Luck et al), I play in the band an hour a day, and I read (mostly historical novels) for an hour or so to unwind following my shift at work. PT (Physical Training) helps me mentally unwind, as well as keep me fit, and I usually do that 5 times a week. I make it a point to average 8 hours of sleep a night (though some nights I get less, other nights I get more). Church is a priority related to my need to worship my Savior, and though it is a focal grounding point of my week, due to operational demands on all in the ‘congregation,’ it is not the socially interactive affair that is normally associated with God’s Community (resulting in an un-naturally stilted interaction between congregants—but then, there is nothing natural about being separated from your family and home church congregation for a year in a combat zone, either).

Semper Fi, Jon G.

1 Comments:

Blogger JarHedJon said...

Helen: Love the heat--as do you, right?! Aren't you a Tucson woman? Wow, Europe for Sany and Sonny, eh? Cleaning up after people have already left, I imagine, will not be 'fun,' God bless you for your service.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home