JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Monday, May 15, 2006

Dust Storm




Hopefully I’ll be able to post to this blog a little more frequently now that I’m a little more caught up at work. Since the last time I took the opportunity to post something substantial, I experienced my first dust storm here on May 8th. I didn’t actually get to see the “wall” of dust approaching as in this picture that was taken by an associate, nor did I get a picture taken of me ‘out in’ the dust storm, as did another friend of mine (I’m probably a little over-paranoid about protecting my camera, it’s got to last for another 9 months of this). It was very eerie being ‘inside’ the dust cloud, as the surroundings appeared to be almost the same orange as you’d expect looking through some very heavily tinted orange sun glasses. Interesting, too, that the dust storm happened when it did, as it is the tail end of spring, and we had just had some rain to dampen the earth about 48 hours prior to the dust.

Semper Fi, Jon G.

2 Comments:

Blogger JarHedJon said...

Ruth: Good idea regarding the plastic bag, I've got a bunch of zip locks that should work great. That might be the ticket to getting all sorts of otherwise damaging-to-the-camera pictures, like the electricity on the chopper blades, things like that. Thanks.
Semper Fi, Jon G.

1:33 AM  
Blogger JarHedJon said...

Matt: Roger that, I think I'll try the bag thing. Again, I owe the pictures to two friends, one in METOC and one a contracter that works in the same office, I'll pass on the compliments. I'll also keep the wrinkles off the lens :)
Semper Fi, Jon G.

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home