JARHEDJON

This is the LOG of a MARINE

Monday, February 06, 2006

Others are leading the way

About ten days ago, the first party from my section were deployed--and today, the second party left. In less than two weeks, I'm scheduled to depart as well. However, the first party is already there, setting things up and formalizing our presence there, and their diligence in establishing a daily routine, as well as organizing billeting, messing, and many other mundane issues will make our ability to roll up and fall in on an established protocol for daily operations much easier.
In the meantime, I am embroiled in a misunderstanding. Last week an officer came into our shop asking for a product. I informed him that we did not have the capability or the charter to produce that type of thing, mentioned a process through which he could obtain the product, told him I'd be happy to try to track down a few options for him, and I'd get back to him. Well, today the officer showed up demanding a product, saying I had promised it to him. My mistake was in not getting back to him in a timely manner. His mistake, I believe, was in hearing what he wanted to hear (the part where I said I'd help), to the exclusion of everything else I said. My first reaction was self-righteous indignation--how am I responsible for his false assumptions, especially when I specifically negated those assumption at our initial conversation? After sitting with the situation for awhile, I'm willing to concede that the officer is probably under a lot of pressure from his own chain of command to deliver a product, was probably directed to our shop as a place where it might get done, and when informed that I'd help, felt that the ball was now in my court. Ultimately, my role here is to be a part of getting the product to the people who need it, not playing turf games with middlemen. This officer and I are part of the same team.
I'll keep you posted as to whether or not we are able to develop the product...

Semper Fi, Jon G.

1 Comments:

Blogger Egypt McKee said...

Jon: I will be a prayer brother to you for the next year as you faithfully serve. Thank you for being the encouragement you are to so many! May the Lord's hand be on you constantly.

In His Grip,

Egypt McKee
http://outofegyptministries.blogspot.com

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home